Tuesday 21 February 2017

Book 3, Chapter 40

LIBER III

CAPUT XL

Quintus amico veteri occurrit - Quintus meets an old friend

Quintus stayed for ten days in Capua while searching for his parents, but he made no progress. Finally, he left Capua unhappy and started on the road which would take him to Rome. He was always asking the travellers on the road whether they had seen his parents, but nobody was able to tell him what had happened to them. He approached Rome at last, but dared not enter the city. He sat near the road worn out with concerns, and soon fell asleep (soon slept).

In a dream, the god Apollo appeared standing near him; he was carrying a lyre in his hands, and looked at Quintus with a friendly expression. "Quintus," he said, "listen to me. Henceforth, you shall never see your parents; do not fight destiny. It is time to enter a new course of your life. You must serve me and the muses. Trusting in me, bravely enter Rome. I shall protect you." Having said this, he handed his lyre over to Quintus; and having done so, he vanished.

Quintus, when he had woken up, rejoiced at his dream. He stood up, and entered the city. He didn't know what was going to happen in Rome, but, trusting in Apollo, he no longer feared the future.

A few days after, he was crossing the forum when a certain young man called him. He turned around and saw Marcus Cicero running towards him. Having embraced Quintus, he said, "hello, Quintus. How are you? So you have finally dared to return to Rome. Come with me and tell me everything that has happened to you since we conquered Philippi."

Marcus lead him to his home and, while they were sitting in the garden drinking wine, said, "tell me how you escaped the battle, and what you did afterwards." Quintus told him the whole story (everything). Marcus was listening to him intently, then asked him what he was going to do now. Quintus responded sadly, "I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm wasting away in poverty. I must taken on some work so that I can procure my bread." Marcus was quiet for a while, and then said, "Quintus, listen to me. I have an excellent plan. I was recently made quaestor of the treasury. Do you want to assist me? Do you want to become the treasury's secretary? The duties are not hard, and you shall receive enough money. I shall use your help liberally, Quintus. If tomorrow you arrive at the treasury at 8 am ("the second hour"), I will appoint you secretary."

Quintus, having faith in Marcus, rejoiced and gave him thanks. "Oh my dearest friend, you have shown me new hope. I shall be very pleased to assist you in the treasury. I shall be there tomorrow, at dawn (first light). He bid Marcus farewell and hurried home in order to prepare for his new office.

At dawn the following day, he was present in the treasury. The chief secretary received him graciously, because he was the friend of Marcus. He explained to Quintus what he had to do. His duties, just as Marcus had said, were not troublesome: he needed to take care of the public records, and to return responses to magistrates if anyone was asking about a given public affair. He was in the treasury by dawn every day.  His business being finished, he was in the habit of returning home by midday.

Responde Latine

1. cui confisus Quintus Romam intrare ausus est?
Apollo
2. cum Quintus Marco occurrisset, quid Marcus eum rogavit?
eum rogavit quae ei acciderint ex quo Philippis victi sunt.
3. quomodo Marcus Quintum adiuvit?
eum scribam aerarii creavit
4. quae officia debebat Quintus in aerario perficere?
officia non gravia erant; tabellas curare magistratibusque respondere erant.

Quintus a senatore maligno vexatur - Quintus is bothered by a spiteful senator


Quintus was working in the treasury, when a certain senator, having entered, summoned him with a loud voice. Quintus, busy with his work, did not run over to him at once. He, being a man of noble birth, was fat and arrogant; he was complaining, because Quintus, not abandoning his work immediately, had not given him a response. "Hurry, secretary," he said, "don't delay. I can't wait an entire day." Quintus hurried to him; "greetings, my senator," he said, "forgive me. I was occupied with my work. What do you want?"

He, looking spitefully at Quintus, asked him who he was and to what father he had been born. Quintus responded to him, "my name is Quintus Horatius Flaccus. My father, who used to live in Venusia, has died." Hearing this, he said, "now I remember. You are the friend of Marcus Cicero. Were you not born of a freedman? And you, the son of a freedman, were made military tribune in Brutus' army, and dared to command an entire legion? It's no wonder that Brutus was defeated, if he was forced to make the sons of freedmen his tribunes."

Quintus, who was used to hearing such insults, did not reply to this, but again asked him what he wanted. He said, "I do not wish to do business with the son of a freedman. Call another secretary." Quintus summoned another secretary, who did business with the senator. He returned to the record office, angry that he was so scorned by such a man.

Exercise 40.1

1. "Don't you want to buy this horse? I bought him for 30 denarii, but I will sell him to you for 20 denarii."
2. "If you rate him so highly, why do you wish to sell him so cheaply?"
3. "I want to sell him cheaply, because I now need the money."
4. "I value the horse far less than you do. Besides, I already have a better horse."
5. "Your horse is far worse than mine. How much do you reckon my horse is worth?"
6. "I think he's worth little. I shall give you 5 denarii."
7. "What are you talking about? 5 denarii! Don't speak nonsense. I'll sell him to you for 10 denarii."
8. "I'm not in need of a horse, but, because you need the money, look, I'll give you 8 denarii. However, I don't know when I'll be using such a horse."

Exercise 40.2

1. they were rejoicing
2. having rejoiced
3. rejoice!
4. you have rejoiced
5. to rejoice
6. you tended to
7. we have tended to
8. they tend to
9. having dared
10. you were daring to
11. I was becoming
12. He/she/it was made
13. to become
14. I am becoming
15. They had been made

Exercise 40.3

1. Quintus, inspired by Apollo, dared to enter Rome.
2. Quintus, havign been made secretary of the treasury, rejoiced.
3. Every day, he was in the habit of hurrying to the treasury where he would diligently perform his duties.
4. Quintus, despised by a senator, was becoming angry.
5. but to bear such insults tended not to bother him for a long time.
6. as he didn't greatly value the words of an arrogant man.

Exercise 40.4

1. in periculo maximo sumus. auxilio mihi opus sumus. hostes oppugnare non audemus.
2. hostes timere numquam soliti estis.
3. num ignavi nunc facti estis?
4. illam virtutem utimini quae saepe praebuistis antea.
5. vos multo fortior hostibus semper fuistis.
6. in deis credentes, me sequimini, milites, et fortiter pugnate ut patriam tuam defenderint.

Exercise 40.5

1. loquebamur, locuti sumus
2. gaudebant, gavisi sunt
3. ponebatis, posuistis
4. fiebant, facti sunt
5. confidebas, confisus es

2 comments:

  1. What a queen. We stan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you thank you sm u dont know how much this saved me

    ReplyDelete